Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Chicago Cubs Week One Review

Week one for the Chicago Cubs would rank average in my book.

Biggest Surprise: The biggest surprise for the Chicago Cubs would have to be outfielder Kosuke Fukudome. I have fast come to love watching this man play the game. He had a slow spring (which may have been on purpose) but through 7 games hes batting a team leading .458 with a slugging percentage of .708 and an on base percentage of .581. He is also stolen 2 bases and laid down one of the greatest bunts I've seen in a long time, especially from a Chicago Cub.
Honorable mention for this category has to be the the Chicago Cubs late addition Reed Johnson. He has been more then productive in his three straight starts.

Biggest Disappointment: This honor unfortunately has to go to Chicago Cubs left fielder Alfonso Soriano. Through 7 games he's batting .094, slugging .188, and has an on base percentage of .147. And yes Chicago Cubs manager Lou Pinella has moved him back to the lead off spot. Although he has one outfield assist, I wouldn't call his defense stellar. He looks to be jogging down balls, and over ran a few balls as well.
Honorable mention for this category is an easy one with Chicago Cubs starting pitcher Ted Lilly. Of all the Chicago Cubs starting pitchers he has the highest ERA with a 9.72 through 2 starts. He's given up 9 runs on 12 hits through 8.1 innings. As our 2nd starter this is scary!

The Chicago Cubs are currently sitting tied for third place in the NL central. They are only 1.5 games back of the division leading Brewers. The Cardinals have started hot and are in second place only a half game back of the Brewers. I would have to say the Cardinals have surprised me with their play through the first week, but they will fall off soon enough. Mark my words!
I know some of you may be saying we're only through one week, don't you think its a little early to be analyzing anything. Well after waiting 100 years for a World Series I think nothing is off limits. And besides I wouldn't be a true Chicago Cubs fan unless this early in the season I showed some sort of illogical hope and extreme panic!

No comments: